Lausanne, Switzerland, May 31, 2017 - Italy hope to extend their winning streak against Iran when they host the Asian side in Pesaro on Friday. Iran haven't beaten Italy since their 3-1 win at the 2014 FIVB World Championship in Poland.Head-to-Head
• Italy have won their last three major encounters with Iran, matches in the 2015 World Cup, 2016 World League and 2016 Olympic Games. Italy won all three in straight sets.
• Iran's last major victory over Italy came in the first round at the 2014 World Championship (3-1).
• Since 2013, they have met in the World League eight times, with Italy leading the series 5-3.Italy
• Italy will make their 28th World League participation and join Brazil as the only ever-presents in the competition that was installed in 1990.
• Italy have been crowned World League champions eight times and in that respect only trail Brazil's nine.
• Italy last won the World League in 2000 and have not reached the final since 2004.Iran
• Iran will make their fifth World League participation and will appear in the competition for the fifth season in a row.
• A fourth place finish in 2014 ranks as Iran's best performance in a single World League campaign.
• Last season, Iran recorded an eighth place finish in the World League.