Lausanne, Switzerland, June 3, 2017 - Canada and USA meet for the very first in the history of the FIVB World League when the come head-to-head Saturday in Novi Sad. It's the first meeting overall of the North American rivals since Canada beat USA in sraight sets at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.Head-to-Head
• This will be the first time these teams meet in the World League.
• The last meeting between these teams in a major competition took place at Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Canada won in straight sets in the pool phase, but United States went on to win the bronze medal.
• Prior to their Olympic encounter, United States had won 11 of the previous 13 meetings with Canada in all competitions.
• Canada's only victories in this run came at the Pan American Games (3-2 in 2011 and 2015).Canada
• Canada beat Belgium 3-2 in their World League opener on Friday.
• Canada have now won 11 of their last 12 World League matches. Their only defeat in this run was a five setter against Finland last year.
• Canada have now won their opening match in their last eight World League seasons. In five of the previous seven seasons in this span, they also won the second match. Their last defeat in an opener came in 1999 against Brazil.
• Canada won their first eight matches in the 2016 World League and the first three in 2015 and 2014.United States
• Two-time World League champions United States have opened their campaign with a 3-1 defeat against last year’s winners Serbia.
• United States are on a three-match losing streak in the World League, the longest run in the competition since five straight in 2013.
• United States have won at least one set in each of their last 20 World League matches, their longest ever run of this type in the competition.
The last time United States lost both of their first two matches in a World League campaign was in 2010, both against Russia.