Lausanne, Switzerland, June 14, 2017 - After both finishing 5-1 in pool play (with Germany topping the standings on points), Germany and Spain clash in the first of the Group 3 semifinals, Saturday in Leon. The two sides come head-to-head for the second time in a week, after Germany handed Spain their sole defeat of the season in Linz last Saturday.Head-to-Head
• Last week (10 June), these teams met in the World League. Germany triumphed in straight sets in Linz, Austria.
• Their first ever World League encounter also took place in Mexico. Last season, Spain dismissed the Germans 3-1 in Mexico City.
• A week later, Germany responded by beating Spain 3-1 in a World League encounter in Almaty, Kazakhstan.Germany
• Germany reached the Final Four by finishing top in Group 3, on five victories and only one defeat.
• Germany's only defeat in the World League this season came against a host. On 9 June, they lost 3-1 against Austria in Linz.
• Last season, Germany successfully negotiated the semifinals of the Final Four in Group 3, before falling to Slovenia in the final.Spain
• Spain earned a Final Four berth by finishing second in Group 3, on five wins and a single defeat.
• Spain suffered their only defeat in six matches this season against Germany, Losing 3-0 against them in Linz, Austria on 10 June.
Spain have reached the Final Four of a World League group for the first time.